The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) states that more than one-third of American adults are affected with obesity. And with the increase in obesity comes a boost in the number of weight loss measures and procedures. Many of these procedures take drastic measures to provide the desired benefits of weight loss. These measures are dramatic enough for one to ponder if the benefits of the surgery outweigh the risks involved.
Fortunately, the gastric balloon weight loss procedure, a revolutionary advancement in weight loss, will wipe away any type of doubt related to risks and benefits. The gastric balloon procedure provides the desired benefits of weight loss, and at the same time, eliminates any of the scary risks involved with weight loss surgeries. After reviewing the benefits below, it will be easy to understand why gastric balloon patients are embracing their futures, improving their health, and feeling more confident than ever.
Here are six benefits to the gastric balloon weight loss procedure:
- Non-Surgical Process. The balloon is placed inside your stomach through a simple non-surgical outpatient procedure. Requiring only a mild sedative, the balloon is inserted through your mouth. Once in your stomach, it is inflated with a small amount of a tinted saline solution until it reaches the size of a grapefruit. The procedure typically lasts 20 - 30 minutes.
- The procedure is non-anatomy altering. The balloon is in place for a period of no more than six months to help jump start weight loss and curb appetite. At the end of that time, the balloon is then removed. It serves as a temporary placeholder and does not permanently re-route your digestive system like weight loss surgeries do.
- Minimal side effects. Some patients reported nausea and vomiting lasting between one to two weeks following the procedure as side effects. Both reactions can be minimized with medication.
- The gastric balloon procedure is FDA approved. Over 200,000 balloons have been placed worldwide, and the technology has evolved in shape and size over the last 20 years to become more durable. However, in the event of a rupture, your urine will turn a noticeable light blue tint from the saline. The balloon can then be removed the same way it was put in place by your physician.
- Professional monitoring and coaching. The gastric balloon procedure is a comprehensive approach and begins with a review of your medical history and physical examination to determine eligibility. Programs are tailored to match your progress, and they include close monitoring by a physician and a team of partners who will educate and coach you.
- Results – While results and experience may vary, studies have shown that patients have lost two to three times more weight with the gastric balloon procedure than with exercise and diet alone.* Most patients keep the weight off or continue to lose after the balloons are removed.
If you have tried all the latest diets and exercise trends, and you really have not experienced the results, then you are in the right place. The gastric balloon weight loss procedure at Gastroenterology Associates can give you the jumpstart in life that you have been searching for all these years. Take the first step to a wonderful lifestyle change by reserving a gastric balloon consultation today.
* Ponce J, Woodman G, Swain J, et al; for the REDUCE Pivotal Trial Investigators. The REDUCE pivotal trial: a prospective, randomized controlled pivotal trial of a dual intragastric balloon for the treatment of obesity [published online ahead of print December 16, 2014]. Surg Obes Relat Dis. 2014. doi: 10.1016/j.soard.2014.12.006.